(Please click here to see a pdf version of the Child Protection Policy)
Child Protection Policy
The Board of Management of Lusk National School recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities. Accordingly, in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education and Skills Child Protection Procedures for Primary Schools, the Board of Management of Lusk National School has agreed the following child protection policy.
- The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy. (available on the Department of Education website and in print form in the school office)
- The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is the Principal, Mr. Paul Comiskey.
- The Deputy Designated Liaison Person (Deputy DLP) is the Deputy Principal.
- In its policies, practices and activities Lusk National School will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare:
The school will
- Recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations
- Fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters
- Adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
- Develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
- Fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters
- School policies, practices and activities that are particularly relevant to child protection include the school Behaviour Policy, Attendance Policy, Anti-Bullying Policy, Custody and Separation Policy, Health and Safety Policy, School Outings/Sporting Activities Policy and Teacher Induction Policy. The Board has ensured that the necessary policies and practices as appropriate are in place in respect of each of the items listed above.
- This policy has been made available to school personnel and the Parents’ Association and is readily available to parents on request. A copy of this policy will be made available to the Department and the patron if requested.
- This policy will be reviewed by the Board of Management once in every school year.
This policy was adopted by the Board of Management on
Signed: _____________________ Signed: _____________________
Chairperson of Board of Management Principal
Date of next review: _____________________